Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mid-course Correction(s)

Growing up in the '60's and '70's, I was a NASA fanatic...a Space Program nut. If I could have lived next door to anyone, it would have been Neil Armstrong, my hero. If at all possible, I would not miss the launch of a Gemini or Apollo spacecraft. As a matter of fact, the day before Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon, our television set went out.

You've got to be kidding me...Unbelieveable...Panic City

That was a Saturday afternoon. No TV repairman could get it fixed by the next day Sunday, the first moonwalk day. So Dad went out and rented a television just for me and my passion.

From all of those years of interest I learned a little about the 'trip to the moon'. Following the tricky maneuver of docking the command module(CM) with the lunar module(LEM), the spacecrafts were on their way to the moon with three astronauts. Several scheduled times on their journey mid-course corrections were carried out. The path of the spacecraft was adjusted by firing rockets on the CM to ensure proper orbit around the moon. If these corrections were not done or done incorrectly, the spacecraft could either miss the gravitational pull of the moon to ensure orbit or slam directly into the moon.

Important, huh!

Mid-course corrections in our spiritual journey are crucial, too! Can you recall your last one?


Allow me to share a mid-course correction that God and the Holy Spirit are continuing to adjust on my spiritual journey. This time last year the Benevolence Team(BT) of which I am a member got the opportunity to share with our church family what we were all about. Being four years in, we decided to give a synopsis of where we had been, what we were currently doing, and where we saw the Spirit leading us. The preparation and especially the study for this presentation was one of the greatest blessings God has given me. Our studies included two areas: what Scripture says and the examples of the early Christians. Whether it was from Scripture or from history, the truth that kept 'jumping off the pages' and 'hitting us between the eyes' was this:

Benevolence is not a program: it is a LIFESTYLE...(let it soak in)

With the greatest of humility and with the help of God's Spirit we attempted to convey this truth to our listeners that night.
I once heard someone say, "It is easier to associate than it is to participate".

Now the challenge that I find in my life is this: Lee, it would be easier to contribute some money to a program and allow someone else to distribute that money to those in need than it is for you to keep money available to help those in need who you personally come in contact with day by day.

Two or three times over the past year, the Spirit has profoundly and emphatically reminded me of the truth "that benevolence is a lifestyle". He periodically has to make that correction in my thinking. And I am so thankful for that, because like the astronauts I do not want the miss the goal of the journey.

1 comment:

  1. This kind of reminds me of flying in auto-pilot vs. manual flying. When we "fly" in auto-pilot we might fail to see that the mid-course correction occurred. But when we fly manually, that is seeking course corrections, we see the correction for what it is and where it came from.

    I received a mid-course correction today and wrote about it in my blog. Check it out. Thanks again for a timely entry.

    ReplyDelete