Monday, February 2, 2009

Tired From What?

This past Saturday was an interesting day. The sub-floor in the master bathroom needed some work. After thirty-some years the plywood had begun to weaken, so small cracks and holes had begun to appear in the vinyl tile. The tiles had been pulled weeks before. It was now time to do some replacing of that 3/4" plywood. With tools in hand, around noon the prying, cutting, tearing, and pulling began. There was also the trashing, the measuring, the cleaning, and the trip to Home Depot. The sub-floor was resupported, the distances were remeasured, more cleaning, and finally, the plywood was cut(pretty close to size) and laid in place. Now, almost twelve hours later, everything being nailed into place could wait until Sunday afternoon.

As the back of my head hit the top of the pillow, there was an acknowledgement of soreness, of weariness, of exhaustion. Yet, in a way, it was a great feeling, because something had been accomplished today. However, the Spirit would not leave it simply at that. There would be more learning today than just how to replace plywood sub-floor. "Lee, when was the last time you felt this exhausted from doing Kingdom work?" WOW!

A guilt-ladened question?

No...by no means...I did not take it that way! But a question that examines the very depths of my heart, and it prompted other questions, "What I am willing or not willing to do in the Kingdom?" "Do I pick and choose how or where I will serve?" "Are there certain opportunities that I purposefully avoid because...?" WOW! WOW! WOW!

Thank you God for allowing your Spirit to examine me and my motives in this way,

Thinking kingdom

2 comments:

  1. Amen brother! I suffered that same conviction today after responding to an email about prison aftercare ministry. I serve in music ministry because I have the God given talent do so and I believe God would have us use our talents to further His Kingdom; but I also choose to do so because I love music. However, is that all that He wants me to do? Your entry comes in a timely manner and I must begin praying about how God would have me serve! Thanks Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great feeling to be "spent" for the Kingdom. Thank you for your love and encouragement. I am closer to God because of the things that you have taught me. I love you.

    ReplyDelete